How to make a complaint or report

If you are a public officer, the Directions and Guidelines require you to report a potential matter of corruption, misconduct or maladministration to the Office for Public Integrity (OPI) by completing the online form.

If you are a member of the public, you can make a complaint to the OPI by:

  • completing the online form
  • completing the paper based public integrity form 
    OR completing the paper based police integrity form if your complaint is about a police officer
  • telephoning 8207 1777 (country callers can phone 1300 782 489 for the cost of a local call)
  • emailing or
  • visiting in person at level 1, 55 Currie Street, Adelaide (via appointment only).


Support in making a complaint or report

If you are deaf, or have a hearing impairment or speech impairment, you can contact us through the National Relay Service.

  • TTY users phone 1300 555 677 then ask for 8207 1777.
  • Speak and Listen users phone 1300 555 727 then ask for 8207 1777.
  • Internet relay users connect to the National Relay Service website and then ask for 8207 1777.

Basic information about services offered by the Independent Commissioner Against Corruption can be provided for those who speak languages other than English. Interpreting and translating services in over 110 languages are provided by the Interpreting and Translating Centre by telephoning 8226 1990. View the ICAC Interpreting Services brochure (PDF 630KB).

If you feel undue stress in relation to your complaint or report, we encourage you to seek support, either through your agency (if you are a public officer) or via external providers including:


13 11 14

Beyond Blue

1300 22 4636

Relationships Australia

1300 364 277


Checklist for making a complaint or report

Once you have decided to make a complaint or a report to the OPI, it is important that you are prepared with the appropriate information.

The OPI will be interested in:

  • the names and positions of people involved in the alleged conduct
  • the public authority concerned (this will most likely be the employer or contracting agency of the person(s) of interest)
  • the names and contact details of any person(s) who may have witnessed the alleged conduct
  • the names and contact details of private citizens and companies who may be involved or have knowledge of the alleged conduct
  • specific details of the allegation(s), including the nature of the alleged conduct, when the alleged conduct occurred, when you became aware of the alleged conduct and why you suspect the alleged conduct might be corruption, misconduct or maladministration
  • whether you have contacted other agencies about the matter
  • any action taken by another agency or authority about the matter
  • the details of any documentary evidence you may have.

You can download this checklist to assist you in preparing for your complaint or report.

Members of the public may make anonymous complaints. However, if you identify yourself and provide your contact details, you can be kept informed of any action that is taken in respect of the matter. Identifying yourself will also assist in the assessment of your complaint. It is possible that in order for your complaint to progress to investigation, further details or clarification may be required. If we cannot contact you, this could hinder or halt further action.

Public officers must provide their name when making a report.

Quick links