Evaluation of SafeWork SA
On 10 May 2018 Commissioner Lander announced he would conduct an evaluation of the practices, policies and procedures of the regulatory arm of SafeWork SA. The Commissioner's report in respect of his evaluation of SafeWork SA makes 39 recommendations aimed at preventing and minimising corruption, misconduct and maladministration.
On 29 November 2018 Commissioner Lander's report titled Evaluation of the Practices, Policies and Procedures of the Regulatory Arm of SafeWork SA was tabled in Parliament and published on the ICAC website.
A4, 264 pages, PDF 2.35 MB
Scope of the evaluation
The evaluation reviewed and reported on:
- legislative and regulatory functions and responsibilities discharged by public officers within the regulatory arm of SafeWork SA
- the discretionary power given to inspectors and investigators employed within SafeWork SA and the practices, policies and procedures that are in place to safeguard against abuse of those discretionary powers
- practices, policies and procedures in respect of the availability and use of resources by public officers employed within the regulatory arm of SafeWork SA and whether those practices, policies and procedures provide a sufficient safeguard to minimise the misuse of those resources
- practices, policies and procedures in respect of the deployment of human resources within the regulatory arm of SafeWork SA and whether those practices, policies and procedures provide adequate measures to manage those human resources so as to ensure the proper and efficient discharge of core functions
Commissioner Lander conducted public hearings at the Riverside Centre, North Terrace in relation to his evaluation of the practices, policies and procedures of the regulatory arm of SafeWork SA.
- Hearing schedule & transcripts
1 Opening Submission 2:00pm Friday, 1 June 2018 (view transcript) 2 Mr Martyn Campbell, Executive Director, SafeWork SA 10:00am Monday, 2 July 2018 (view transcript) 3 Mr Rodney John Murray 10:00am Wednesday, 4 July 2018 (view transcript) 4 Chief Officer Greg Crossman, South Australian Metropolitan Fire Service 10:30am Thursday, 5 July 2018 (view transcript) 5 Mr Nev Kitchin, General Secretary, Public Service Association of SA 1:30pm Wednesday, 11 July 2018 (view transcript) 6 Mr Joe Szakacs, State Secretary, SA Unions 1:00pm Thursday, 12 July 2018 (view transcript) 7 Ms Holly Stanley, Counsel Assisting the Commissioner 2:00pm Friday, 31 August 2018 (view transcript)
Commissioner Lander received submissions in relation to the SafeWork SA evaluation. Not all submissions have been published.
Material might not be published where:
- it is not considered relevant to the scope of the evaluation
- the material contains information concerning particular incidents or events that are not the focus of the evaluation
- the material contains information that is defamatory or offensive to an individual or individuals
- the material contains information, the disclosure of which might compromise the operations of SafeWork SA
- the information relates to issues of national security which would be inappropriate to disclose
- the person or persons making the submission objected to the submission being published
Some material has been redacted to remove references to individuals, particular events or comments or opinions that might be considered defamatory or critical without foundation.
In conducting his evaluation, Commissioner Lander considered all of the material that he received, including material that has been redacted or has not been published.
- Submissions received
- Correspondence received
Stakeholder letter - Primary Industries and Regions SA Stakeholder letter - Return to Work SA Stakeholder letter - Safe Work Australia Letter - Martyn Campbell, SafeWork SA
|Media Release - 29 November 2018|
|Media Release - 25 June 2018|
|Media Release - 1 June 2018|
|Public Statement - 22 May 2018|
|Public Statement - 10 May 2018|